(to other beginners)
In getting to know the sewing lingo and special terms I found the following resources helpful:
- WP Sewing machine
- WP Sewing machine needle and more details about Schmetz needles sold at my local store
- WP Sewing This helped me in understanding some of the many techniques used in sewing:
- Seam allowance
- Felled seam
- among many more that I have yet to explore.
Get to know your machine. How does it sound when working properly? Try to close your eyes while sewing and memorize the sound. If something is not right you can often tell by unusual sounds from the machine. Make sure to service your machine regularly to avoid problems.
Factors that influence on you work:
- state of the machine and needle
- right needle to the material being sewn
- organizing (a good table/floor to cut on, doing things in the right pace/order, etc.)
- tools (scissor, needle threader, colored tape measure, etc.)
- (unconfirmed) one person selling fabric told me that the age of the cotton thread influences the strength of it.